Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vroom Vroom, Children & 80s' Television...

Kids like me didn't even have the time to salivate much less chew our food...!

There's a bunch of men out there today, who didn't watch a lot of Sesame Street or Thundercats growing up, I'm guilty as charged. I've always been a huge fan of the famous American Muscle Cars. They don't take the cherry though, cause that spot is reserved for the Prancing Horses but they do come a close second. For a very long time when I was growing up I used to love this car; the Ford Capri. To those above the age of 30 will remember this show on TV called 'Hunter'. Where Sgt. Rick Hunter (or was it detective) was seen in various of the Amerian Muscle Cars; the Dodge Monaco, the Chevy Impala and a one Ford Capri. I'm pretty sure my fetish for the American Muscle started there. I wanted to be Sgt. Rick Hunter so badly and I wanted my very own Ford Capri. I of course didn't know how to tongue the women like Sgt. Rick Hunter though but I sure did learn in the after years!

The Ford Capri was the only matchbox car I cried for when I first went to Toys "R" Us (that's an experience I've never gotten out of my system). Probably a few years later, when I finally got the 1985 Car Buyers Guide and I understood what all those abbreviations under the car performance tablet meant, I found out that the Ford Capri wasn't the best Ford ever made! There was another Ford that made this car look like a supermarket trolley. I was shocked, I was disappointed, I cried like a baby and like every other little spoiled brat, I forgot all about the Ford Capri in no time and latched on to the new and faster Ford.... The Ford GT!! Even though the Ford GT was built a good two decades before the Ford Capri, I didn't know that at the time nor did I cared much anyways...! You'll understand why in 6 and a half minutes time;



There wasn't a car that sounded like the Ford GT, there wasn't a car that looked like the Ford GT. To be quite honest, when my uncles were talking about their Toyota Corolla, I was bragging about 'my' Ford GT. Mind you, I was only either a 4 or 5 wet-snort brat. But I knew that one day I'd own a Ford GT. Of course all that changed when TV2 aired another series called 'Heartcastle & McCormick'. Now here was a car that made the Ford GT look like it was a tricycle ON TRAINING WHEELS... Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Coyote. A lot of people may not know this but the Coyote was actually not a very impressive car only that it looked like a spaceship. And what kid wouldn't like to own a car that looked like it was a blend of a Touring bred car and Star Trek.

And we all know better than life itself what happened in 1985? The airing of the king of all cars, the only car that made television history and the one car that got kids AND even grown ass men all over the world, no matter what color... talking into their watches; Kitt!

Later in 1985, I watched my first Grand Prix. We'll leave that story for another day, shall we? Too much exhaust fumes in my brains now!

No comments: