Sunday, March 29, 2009

The points don't matter anymore...

I've been reserving myself from blogging about this for months now. Simple reason is that for many years now I've always gotten so friggin' excited about the season, that I mouth off far to fast. This year I wanted to watch the opening race before I actually commented on anything about the sport.

So let's start with this afternoon... Brawn Mercedes ehhh??! (Awesome..)

Does anyone remember Ross Brawn from Benetton? Yes, the yellow and green cars with the huge Camel print on the rear wing from the early 90s'. Funny how I don't. Maybe because the whole time in spite it was his ingenious technical direction that lead the team to two championships, it was the face of Michael Schumacher and Flavio Briatore that was flashed on television screens most of the time. I think the very first time I saw him was when Michael Schumacher won the Japanese GP in 1995 and he was up there to take the constructors throphy. From then on, what a whole decade with Ferrari and what; 6 drivers titles and 7 contructors titles? Impressive would you say so... Nothing compared to this afternoon then again. Rear defuser aside, I mean that's for the FIA to iron out but today's results speak volumes of the man's experiences. My sincere cheers to the man. Good to see a an underdog come and take on the big guns.

Don't doubt it for one minute; I'm still Tifossi, word!

Okay, Formula One is this sport where they're constantly looking to break the formula. You ask me; 1998 was the sports pinacle moment. The rules rocked, the driver raced, the team princeples kept their mouth shut, Bernie made money and Mosley wasn't wearing a Nazi uniform and Murray Walker was still screaming come grand prix weekends. Every year they wanna bring 'something new' into the game to spice it up or slow the sport down bla bla safety bla bla bla.

This season, I think the only three good news that came out of the FIA press room was; 1. Pit Lane stays open, 2. KERS and 3. Slick tyres. I seriously had my doubts about KERS initially but after watching an on board cam of Lewis Hamilton tailing Nico Rosberg and not lose any speed from the turbulence at almost every corner in Albert Park(Street Circuit thingy), I likey KERS...

Years and years of watching Formula One over and over again, watching a driver take the chequered flag is still a phenomenal feeling that just overwhelms me. Despite most or some of the times it's heartbreaking to watch your hero NOT making it all the way there. But something told you; hey, championships are not won in one race. You know what? That might not be true this season. Winner take all, well at least that's what the FIA is saying. So I don't get this, if a driver is like miles ahead of the another driver in the points, he still could lose the championship because he didn't rack up more wins? Or if a driver like won 5 back to back races and then got fired and at the end of the season he was the one with the most race wins, does that mean a driver that's not even in the sport anymore wins the championship? I think I gotta got read the rules again. I'm sure Charlie Whitting and Bernie Eccelstone thought of things like this...

Aside from all this, I think this season is going to be awesome. Finally a season where the playing grounds look so even. Yet there is this voice in the back of my head saying; it's too early to call it. Wait this the big boys get into the European circuits!

No comments: