Sunday, July 25, 2010

Butterscotch Baby

Come this October, my little (okay, not so little) munchkin will turn 5. It has dawned on me that 5, is actually 40 in dog years....

I've noticed as of late that she is already starting to find it difficult to run up and down the stairs. Also after she gets up from her slumber, her hind legs are a little shaky. And it struck a deep and sad cord in me.

For the past 5 years of my adult life, this woman has been a huge part of it. She's seen me get my first job. Buy my first car (which technically was for her). She's seen not one but a few 'ladies' come and go in my life. She's even stood by side in a 'show-down' with 6 teenage rempits. She's been there! And you know what saddens me the most when I think about this situation, even if I would never acknowledge her or thank her for being there; I know she'll still do it, again and again. Dog's have thought me the true meaning of unconditional love.

Baby isn't my first dog, but she's the most significant one ever. I'm quite aware of a dog's lifespan, much more that of a German Shepherd. I know I will out live her but I also know that someday my Butterscotch furred friend and I will run the out fields again, together!

2 comments:

Joy is the key said...

I had a German Shepherd named Laika and I loved her so much.

Unknown said...

I love GSDs... Especially this one!