Saturday, January 08, 2011

Life Goes On

But not for some.....

When I first got here in Batanagar, Calcutta; I discovered a litter of puppies in the neighborhood. Actually I found just one guy; Joshua and he led me to his brothers and sisters. They were the cutest things on earth. They showed so much spunk and grit about them that my spirits were lifted every time I saw them. There were two black pups, two white with black patches, one brown and one white with brown patches. The six of them were the limelight of my evenings...

It had become a routine for me to save some of my dinner and give it to them and usually it's just 2 pieces of roti. But last night on my way back from dinner I discovered that Joshua and one of the black pups had died, the poor little fellows froze to death. It was so heart wrenching to see Joshua lay there still as ice.

Earlier, I had mentioned that there were two black pups, remember. Well now the remaining black pup which was inseparable from the other one has isolated itself. It is has given up on life and I'm guessing it misses the other black pup. Every time I think of this little fellow, who just won't give up on his twin, the tears just start pouring with no control. Dogs are truly heaven sent!

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's"
-Mark Twain in 1899

No comments: