Sunday, April 28, 2013

Instaholic

What is it about the digital age and food. I fail to see the correlation but there is one smack right in our faces and thats pretty obvious.

I'll admit to be the first to always wanna whip out my camera before my appetite. Now is the obsession on the platter or photography. Food or pixels? Or is it sociological?

I read somewhere recently that the habit of posting up stuff on be it Instagram or Facebook is to gloat, it's a sense virtual wealth by association. For instance if I had a Ferrari drive by me, I'd wanna take a picture of that bugger and why doesn't a Nissan Sunny get the same reaction, simple; it's simply not fab enough for my Facebook wall.

And the same goes with food. Food is often associated with wealth. You've got some extra change in your pockets, you dine well. If it's that time of the month when everything is tight, you dine like a beggar. That's pretty common among people my age in Kuala Lumpur. And maybe, just maybe the act of pixalating that dinner is actually an act of flaunting ones wealth. 

So now I just feel absolutely horrible for all the times I've taken a picture of scrumptious food and posted it up on social media websites. I know I enjoyed taking the picture, but what's the point to all of it? Didn't benefit me one bit....

No comments: